26 things about Nic Davidson
1. What’s the best advice you have ever received?
Best advice I received was from a mentor in my first startup when I was 21, it was “don’t worry about what your competition is doing, worry about what you’re doing” – I still think about it whenever I get sidetracked (obviously you don’t want to be completely unaware of your competition, but you cannot control what they do, only what you do)
2. 6 things that make you smile?
- My golden retriever when I come home
- My girlfriend and business partner Sarah (who will be annoyed that the dog made #1)
- Seeing random people drinking, cooking with or using products, apps, software that we’ve created – It’s a great feeling.
- New experiences and places. I’m such a wanderluster.. Travelling is my life. Nothing beats being made speechless by an amazing view or experience.
- My friends. I have an amazing bunch of loyal and very talented friends
3. I love to cook…
BBQ – I’m so manly right? Unfortunately Sarah knows this so every summer I am outside cooking every night!
4. A proud moment in my life was when…
I guess recently Matcha Maiden was featured in Good Food guide and Instasnoop was listed in top 5 apps on Mashable
5. Favorite thing to do on a Sunday?
Close my laptop and enjoy brunch in the sun. I’ve been forcing it to happen recently and it’s the best!
6. Best meal you’ve ever had…
Recently Fat Duck, Attica and La Sirenuse has paled into insignificance after some amazing dishes from Matthew Butcher at Morris Jones – absolutely incredible degustation.
7. Favorite subject in school?
Well I was a bit of a geek so I’d have to say Maths… really channeling my half Asian side there – But loved following a formula to find a solution. My creative side really came out in my early 20s
8. I can’t stop listening to…
Right now I’m obsessed with The Weeknd – Hills – It’s so catchy and I’m currently working out of LA and it’s pretty much on repeat on all of the stations here.
9. Saturday night out or Saturday night in?
IN. Club doona for sure. I’ve definitely had my fair share of partying but nowadays it’s Netflix and relaxing (or chill?) rather than being out destroying my brain cells and liver at a bar!
10. Success means….
To feel happy and fulfilled. No matter what financial success, award, position etc that you achieve there is always something higher… so success to me is being happy and fulfilled in what I’m doing.
11. 2 things that make me cry…
haha okay – I get prickly when I see animals being hurt or randomly in some films… I wouldn’t say I start bawling… but I’ve definitely had a sniffle.
12. What is normal?
Pfft – I hate that word. Normal is boring.
13. Vegemite makes me want to?
I’m very Australian when it comes to vegemite – LOVE IT. Just keep it simple stop mixing it with chocolate and trying to be fancy – Toast and Butter (maybe avocado)
14. I cant live without my…
Family, Friends, dog and laptop.
15. Seinfeld or Friends?
Seinfeld for sure. I can quote every episode.
16. Where do you go to relax?
On a plane – QF93 is my favourite place haha. 14 hours where no one can call or email me.
17. If you were a vegetable you would be a…
Definitely not an onion as I wouldn’t want our former prime minister chasing me… probably a purple carrot as I’m a bit quirky.
18. Who do you want to be when you grow up?
I actually have an piece of art I drew in primary school that said I wanted to be a cowboy – Unfortunately that never eventuated…. Probably for the best.
19. I’ll have a one way ticket to…
Positano. Without a hesitation.
20. What did you eat last night?
A 16oz New York strip at Mastros in Malibu – Incredible.
21. Last movie you watched…
Mad Max Fury on a flight recently… Tom Hardy nailed it.
22. Favorite market place is…
We love the Hank Marvin Markets and also the farmers markets in St Kilda.
23. Don’t mess with me when…
When I’m on a roll and my laptop crashes and autosave didn’t work…. Avoid me for at least an hour
24. 6 things I love about Melbourne
- The coffee – LA is trying to catch up (courtesy of some of our friends) but Magic on Ferrars and St Ali leave them for dead.
- The food – from all of the amazing restaurants that have popped up through to the hidden gems. It’s so easy to find some incredible meals
- Fitness culture – From the amazing health startups through to the old school Gyms. I’m a self confessed fitness junkie.
- The golf courses… it’s so easy to escape for a sneaky 9 holes before the office
- The surf.. 1 hour and you’re at some of the best surf beaches in Aus
- It’s where my friends and family are.
25. I just learnt…That dogs sneeze when they are playfighting so that other dogs/humans know they aren’t being serious. Cute hey.
26. One word to describe you? Hyperactive
Meet the other half of Matcha Maiden – Sarah Holloway