26 things about Reece Carter Naturopath & Herb Nerd
1. What’s the best advice you have ever received?
“To fail is just to choose something you don’t want.”
2. 6 things that make you smile?
- Skyping my family, especially if my sister’s puppy Jaffa is around.
- Driving around feeling summer sun hit my skin – bliss!
- A few hours of creative writing. It leaves me feeling so balanced.
- Receiving an email from a stranger to say they tried my remedy and that it changed their health for the better.
- Peanut butter.
- Adventures. I’ve been travelling since as soon as I first had a passport, and I have no plans of slowing down seeing this phenomenal planet.
3. I love to cook…
When it’s just for me, it’s something easy and healthy, a throw-everything-in-a-bowl kind of scenario: salads, quinoa bowls, that kind of thing. When I cook for someone else, I get my chef on. I love making slow-cooked meats and tajines. There is something really wholesome about those foods, and they are incredibly healing. It’s a nice thing to be able to cook for someone.
4. A proud moment in my life was when…
We sent the SUM T website live, and the orders rolled in. It could have totally flopped, but it was so exciting to see the support and excitement from all my fellow herb-nerds out there!
5. Favourite thing to do on a Sunday?
I’d love to say sleep in, but I really never do that. I’m such a morning person so I get up and go for a hike up Runyon Canyon. Then it’s a yummy breakfast and a few hours creative writing (that’s my meditation!) before seeing friends in the afternoon and evening.
6. Best meal you’ve ever had…I’ve not lived at home since I was 16 really, so any time I get to visit my family, I make the most of my Mum’s cooking. She does a slow-roasted lamb with braised chickpeas and cavolo nero that pretty much makes the world explode with its awesomeness.
7. Favourite subject in school?
English. My teacher used to let me skip class and go to the library to write stories. I’m sure my school doesn’t know that, and they’d hate it, but to me that’s just what a teacher should be. He was like Miss Honey out of ‘Matilda’, if you’re a Roald Dahl fan.
8. I can’t stop listening to…Rhye. It’s totally chill-in-your-bathtub-with-candles-lit music, but it just makes me chill instantly. They’re LA-based but have some Aussie talent in there.
9. Saturday night out or Saturday night in?
10. Success means…For me? Living a life that is exciting and fulfilling, whilst also making sure that a legacy is left, and that legacy is a positive one.
11. 2 things that make me cry…
- Any movie that has a dog in the poster. You always know it’s going to die at the end. Chances are I’ll watch it on a plane and make everyone around me uncomfortable with my blubbering.
- When I open the jar of peanut butter to find it empty. Not really…but almost.
12. What is normal?
Absolutely nothing, thankfully.
13. Vegemite makes me want to?
Be six years old again. I used to love a big buttered piece of toast with a little vegemite on it. It’s not part of my diet anymore, but my Aussie tastebuds still remember it fondly.
14. I can’t live without my…Friends. I know that’s a cliché, but I really do feel very grateful for the awesome and supportive bunch of humans that I have around me.
15. Seinfeld or Friends?
Friends! I’m actually a bit of a diehard fan. Phoebe is like the female version of me – she’s the best!
16. Where do you go to relax?
If I could pick anywhere in the world? The South-West Coast of Australia. My family has a home there, and whenever I can get there it is so healing. It’s such a magical corner of the globe.
17. If you were a vegetable you would be a…Jerusalem Artichoke, because literally nobody knows what to do with me.
18. Who do you want to be when you grow up?
19. I’ll have a one way ticket to…Right now I’m loving LA, but I feel a desire for a remote getaway to somewhere with crystal clear water and a thatched hut calling me.
20. What did you eat last night?
I went to my favourite little Mexican place near me, Petty Cash, and pigged out of ceviche. So good!
21. Last movie you watched…‘Trainwreck’ with Amy Schumer. I was laughing so hard, and then it got very real! She’s a talented woman, both as a comedian and as a dramatic actress. I worked with her earlier this year and she’s just a ridiculous in real life.
22. Favourite market place is…
Borough Market in London. I used to live there (London, that is; not the markets) for two years and it really is the most droolworthy market on the planet!
23. Don’t mess with me when…I’m hangry.
24. 6 things I love about Melbourne
Its food, its coffee, the charming CBD, its walkability, its local fashion, and of course all of my favourite people who still call it home.
25. I just learnt…That I’m not as good a singer as I’d always hoped.
26. One word to describe you?