My Experience- Reflexology for babies.
I find it fascinating to work with Mother and Baby. In some cases, mothers come to reflexology because their baby is suffering from sluggish bowel, or colic. In these cases, I hold the baby in my arms as the mother rest on the massage table. I energetically seek permission from the baby to work its feet. I gently work on the reflexes relating to the bowel (lower instep). As soon as the baby has had enough they start to wriggle. I then return the baby to the mother and proceed to work on her feet. It is fascinating to find that the reflexes relating to the baby’s condition are tender in the Mother (where they may not have been before). I work quite deeply on the mother. The results are amazing..( yes, bowels open). Mother and baby are so closely linked, if there is an issue with the child I always like to work on the Mother to relax her and help bring her body back into balance. In so doing, also assisting the baby.
What is Reflexology?
Reflexology is a natural, effective and safe form of healing.
Reflexes are located on the hands, feet and ears that correspond to all the glands, organs and other body parts. It is a unique method of using finger and thumbs on these reflex points to stimulate the body’s natural ability to heal itself
Reflexology is an ancient art, and science which has been passed down from generation to generation all over the world.
How does reflexology work?
Reflexology promotes balance in physical, mental, emotional and energetic levels of the body by:
- Improving circulation
- Reducing stress and tension
- Boosting the body’s lymphatic function
- Easing aches, pains and discomfort
- Assisting the body’s natural healing processes.
- Providing a sense of wellbeing
When a person is healthy, energy moves freely along specific paths. However, energy is impeded through tension, congestion, imbalance or sluggishness within a system then all those organs and internal structures that lie in the energy path have a potential to succumb to disease.
It is well recognised that reflexology delivers significant benefits to body and mind, thus assisting many people to reclaim their health and perform to their maximum potential.
What does a reflexology session involve?
A full reflexology session takes approximately 1 hour.
You need only expose your feet or hands thereby reducing possible embarrassment, self-consciousness or vulnerability.
Reflexology is also perfect for self-help by massaging tender reflex areas on your hand or feet .Try a 5 minute massage on the baby’s feet after their bath, or nappy change.
Who can benefit from reflexology?
- Babies– Gently massage lower instep of sole to assist with colic. Gently press on the balls of their feet to assist with relaxation.
- Children– massage whole foot. Reflexology has proven beneficial to help calm over active or anxious children
- Adolescents– helpful in assisting young girls with menstrual problems or balance hormones in teenagers as they navigate puberty.
- Conception – reflexology assists in the relief of stress and tension assisting the body to balance, preparing for conception
- Pregnancy-assists in relieving morning sickness, swollen ankles, changing hormonal levels, relieving aches(eg. sciatica) and helps bring the body and mind into balance, preparing for the birth .
- Postnatal– Having a reflexology massage after the birth of a baby is a beautiful way to help bring your body back into balance . It helps mothers adjust to changes as she benefits from some much needed nurturing.
A reflexology treatment is a pleasant time out from the demanding needs of the family, as you adjust to lack of sleep, feeding and daily living requirements. We have all heard the saying “ A relaxed mother makes for a relaxed baby”.
Article by Lyn Fava.
Head over to Feel + Mind to find more holistic wellness tips from our local reflexologist.