Sleeping is both an art and a science and sleep is nature’s most powerful healer. The right quality and duration of sleep ensures that your body systems undergo daily maintenance, which nurtures, repairs, heals and balances you physically, mentally and emotionally. Adequate sleep is as important to you as your diet, exercise and stress management.
Science has shown that sleep heals, repairs and detoxifies your body and helps build energy for the body and mind. Studies show that missing out on the restorative power of sleep can affect your mood, decrease your immune and brain function, and increase your risk of major illnesses like cardiovascular disease, diabetes, obesity and cancer.
Breaking it down simply these are the effects of sleep on your body.
Your BRAIN – studies show that sleep is necessary to rejuvenate the connections between brain cells essential for memory, cognitive functioning and attention span.
Your MUSCLES – the body produces growth hormone during sleep, which is a function necessary for building and maintaining healthy muscle tissue and muscle strength.
Your IMMUNE SYSTEM – not enough sleep reduces white blood cell activity, which increases the risk of you getting sick.
Your BLOOD SUGAR – not enough sleep can interfere with the body’s ability to metabolize glucose, leading to early signs of diabetes.
Your MOOD – studies have shown that lack of sleep increases the feeling of stress, anger, feeling sad, irritated and mentally exhausted.
Here are a few top tips to help you harness the healing power of your sleep.
- Reduce your caffeine consumption in the evening
- Start a bed time ritual like massaging organic cream on your arms, hands, feet and legs
- Turn off the lights and all electronics especially that phone! Light suppresses melatonin, which makes it harder to fall asleep so if you need some light, light a natural soya aromatherapy candle that will soothe your senses
- Aim to sleep in for 8 – 9 hours
- In those 8-9 hours think of what you are exposing your skin to – it is vital that you remove all toxins that can leech into your skin and bloodstream at this time – choose certified organic products that do NOT contain any harmful or toxic dyes, chemicals, pesticides or bleaches and let your skin breathe
Remember that the art of sleep lies in the sanctuary of the bedroom and it is in your hands to create the perfect toxic free environment for your body, your mind and your soul.
Article by Vinita – Founder of Bhumi Organic Cotton
Vinita has been fortunate to travel to many exciting destinations on the planet and experience the beauty of nature and cultures of the world. With a background in Health and a Masters in International Public Health Vinita saw first hand the disastrous health and environmental impacts of traditional cotton growing with farmer suicides, child labour, pesticide poisoning, birth defects, harmful dyes and toxic water ways. After years in the field meeting with amazing NGOs, grassroots organizations and a growing movement of organic farmers, it was time for positive change. Vinita combined her deep love for the Earth, humanity and sustainable design to create Bhumi Organic Cotton.
“Be the change you wish to see in the world”…. Mahatma Gandhi
Learn more at www.bhumi.com.au
Store – 138 Commercial Road, Prahran VIC 3181