26 things about Melissa Farrugia passionate Holistic Kinesiologist, Mentor and inspiration fueled writer…
1. What’s the best advice you have ever received?
From a young age, Mum would say to me over and over again “you can do anything Melissa.” Her belief in me stuck. I’m so grateful for this.
2. 6 things that make you smile? SO much makes me smile…
- Deep, true and honest conversations.
- My nieces and their fantastic way of seeing the world.
- Friendship and conscious connection with passionate people.
- Clever words and quotes that shift my awareness.
- Watching the waves roll in along the beach at sunset, with a camera in my hand.
- A really good meal, made with love.
3. I love to cook…Grilled salmon with a salad of broccolini, shredded coconut, yellow capsicum and green leaves… It’s pretty yum!
A proud moment in my life was when…The first night I landed in Vancouver on a 12 month working holiday visa, not knowing a soul, and not really having a plan. I knew I’d taken a big leap to get there, and felt so proud and liberated.
4. Favorite thing to do on a Sunday?
Sundays are typically pretty chilled. My favorite thing to do is wake up and go into my day spontaneously. It’s always interesting to look back at the end of the day and see where I’ve landed!
5. Best meal you’ve ever had…
This is a tricky one, though I’d have to say pizza in Naples. My best friend and I waited in a crowd of locals for 2 hours before being seated inside the restaurant, and once the pizza arrived, we were so happy we waited! The ingredients were so fresh and the flavors were incredible!
6. Favorite subject in school?
It would have to be an even split between English and Art.
7. I can’t stop listening to…This week it’s Xavier Rudd: Spirit Bird, and anything Florence And The Machine, and Bob Marley.
8. Saturday night out or Saturday night in?
It’s been a very social Summer, so Saturday night out… Winter may be a different story though!
9. Success means…Happiness. Since the age of 5, I’ve wished for happiness at each birthday, and this wish has become a guide for me. I know that if I’m happy or feeling purposeful a majority of the time, I’m doing life well.
10. 2 things that make me cry…Feeling emotional pain, and seeing someone else in deep vulnerability.
11. What is normal?
I don’t believe in ‘normal’ anymore. I think that normality is an illusion which traps us in the day-to-day, and disconnects us from the magic that life has to offer.
12. Vegemite makes me want to…
Lock it away in a cupboard, or give it to my sister who loves it!
13. I can’t live without my…My journal and a great writing pen. I’m sure having a journal has saved me thousands of times over.
14. Seinfeld or Friends?
Friends. All the way.
15. Where do you go to relax?
If I only have a short amount of time, I’ll sit in the rose garden across the road from my home and just focus on my breathing for awhile. If I have lots of time, I’ll go over to the beach just before sunset, with my camera, sit on the sand and stare into the horizon.
The combination of feeling connected to the environment, the sounds of the ocean, and the magic of seeing the world through the perspective of the lens always leaves me feeling SO peaceful.
16. If you were a vegetable you would be a…Broccolini! I’m a bit of a fan.
17. Who do you want to be when you grow up?
I’d love to combine the healing work that I’m currently doing with my other loves: photography, art, story-telling, community and travel, so the idea of being involved in photo-documentary or film documentary of some description feels really inspiring to me. One thing I’ve learned is that when I follow my intuition, I end up in some crazy and aligned places that I couldn’t have planned for if I tried! So I’m going to continue along that path, and look forward to meeting whoever I am when I’m grown up, because I’m sure she’ll have some pretty cool stories to tell at the end of it all.
18. I’ll have a one-way ticket to…I’m about to leave for Mexico, so I might be asking for a one-way ticket back there upon my return!
19. What did you eat last night?
Grilled chicken with a mushroom, rocket and goats cheese salad.
20. Last movie you watched…A documentary called Collaboration: on the edge of a new paradigm.
21. Favorite marketplace is…South Melbourne Market is my weekly go to, but my favorite market experience has been Mauer Park Flea Market, in Berlin.
22. Don’t mess with me when…I’m focused on something I’m passionate about. If I’m in the zone, please leave me there! On the flip side, I can’t stand disrespectful behavior. There’s simply no need.
23. 6 things I love about Melbourne…
- The street art. Some of it absolutely blows me away.
- Café culture. I love the ambient hum of cafes, especially when I’m working/writing in them.
- Opportunities to connect with community. If you pop your head up long enough, you’ll notice community everywhere.
- In just over half an hour I can go from being inner city to the middle of a forest.
- The buskers along Bourke Street Mall on a Sunday + the city lane ways. I love the feeling of discovery.
- Sitting high up on a rooftop, looking out over the city skyline. At sunset, of course.
25. I just learnt…That when women come together in full support of one another, our Oxytocin levels naturally rise and amplify. Oxytocin is known as the ‘cuddle’ or ‘love’ hormone, and brings about feelings of connection, peace and togetherness.
26. One word to describe you?
Can I have 2? Free-spirited and passionate.