¼ cup buckwheat
½ avocado – cubed
1 cup broccoli florets – finely sliced
large handful of kale – torn into small pieces
¼ cup mixed seeds and nuts (I bought a premixed version of sesame, sunflower, pepitas, cashews, macadamias, pistachios and pine nuts but you could use whatever seeds and nuts you desire)
1 Tbsp. chia seeds
½ red onion – diced
1/3 cucumber – diced
¼ cup olive oil
few dashes of balsamic (optional)
1 tsp cumin seeds (optional)
½ tsp nigella seeds (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
- Using the absorption method cook buckwheat in a saucepan with ¾ cup of water until tender, adding more water if necessary.
- Allow buckwheat to cool, place in another bowl in the fridge if necessary.
- Place kale, cucumber, broccoli, red onion and buckwheat into a large mixing bowl. Stir until combined.
- Pour over olive oil, add spices and balsamic (if using), squeeze lemon juice over mixture including pulp. Seasonal with salt and pepper. Mix liquid thoroughly through salad, you can use your hands if you like to get rustic.
- Finally add avocado and seeds stirring through the mixture until just combined, you don’t want the avocado to go mushy.
- Serve as a nourishing brunch with your favourite protein, a complete lunch, or as a light summer side salad with dinner.
Article by Lauren Roberts
As a yoga instructor and someone who is passionate about health and wellbeing, Lauren is happily blogging about the things in life she loves. Through her creative writing, she aims to help people nourish and care for their body and mind. A true foodie at heart Lauren is often found at the latest cafe hot spots critiquing the food, or in the kitchen creating a new recipe.