26 things about Co-Founder Sarah Holloway of Matcha Maiden
1. What’s the best advice you have ever received?
My Mum’s very wise philosophy on life – everything happens for a reason. Both the good things and the bad, everything is part of the journey and will play some part in forming who you are. I love it because it not only helps you become more accepting of things, it also encourages you to take something away from every experience.
2. 6 things that make you smile?
- My loved ones, they are simply wonderful
- My dog, Paul, the most human golden retriever in the world
- When other people smile
- Random acts of kindness
- Anything involving food
- Memes (yep, I’m a SUCKER for a stupid meme)
3. I love to cook…
Massive trays of roast vegetables – I know I’m a weirdo. I LOVE roast veggies, so I roast up big loads at a time to munch on through the day.
4. A proud moment in my life was when…
When Matcha Maiden first starting making sales and getting tagged in posts outside of our circle of family and friends!
5. Favorite thing to do on a Sunday?
Nothing! Staying snuggled in all day and watching trashy TV.
6. Best meal you’ve ever had…
Wow, that is a super difficult question! I couldn’t name one “best” meal, but probably the overall most “memorable” would be the Fat Duck. Seven hour lunch? Yes please!
7. Favorite subject in school?
Languages (French and Japanese)
8. I can’t stop listening to…
Swedish House Mafia – all time favourite. I generally like more chilled out music, but for some reason can’t get enough of SHM. I’m that chick dancing shamelessly in public places by myself.
9. Saturday night out or Saturday night in?
IN! Without a doubt! I used to be a serious wild child, but finally hung up the dancing shoes and became a nanna. I think you grow out of it eventually, and we definitely put in a solid innings. Now my ideal Saturday night involves PJs, take away and movies with the boys!
10. Success means…
Whatever you think it means. I think success is something subjective. Even the people who are objectively successful often don’t think they’ve necessarily achieved all their goals or attained their own measure of success. If you have set a goal or aspire to a particular lifestyle and then see yourself achieve that, that’s success to me regardless of whether anyone else would also consider it success.
11. 2 things that make me cry…
I don’t cry very often, but if I do it’s total waterworks. I used to be dead pan in sad movies but now I can’t even think about the Notebook without crying. I also cry out of happiness, when I get really excited about something. When I first saw our product in Urban Outfitters this year, I burst into tears. Yes, I was at home by myself and yes, I am a weirdo.
12. What is normal?
There is NO such thing. We are all abnormal in our own special way, and I think aspiring to be normal is pretty boring!
13. Vegemite makes me want to?
Whip out a spoon and scoop it up all by itself! I ADORE Vegemite, especially with avocado or cheese. SO GOOD!
14. I cant live without my…
Phone. I know, it’s sad but true. Or almond butter. Or paw paw.
15. Seinfeld or Friends?
16. Where do you go to relax?
The bath or yoga.
17. If you were a vegetable you would be a…
Oh that’s a tough one… I LOVE sweet potato so probably sweet potato.
18. Who do you want to be when you grow up?
I love that this assumes I’m not already grown up – I still always think about “when I grow up” and I love that this question validates that for me because I totally do not feel like an adult. I have no idea who I want to be. I guess just the very best version of myself. I want to always be as happy as I am now and help make other people happy in some way or another.
19. I’ll have a one-way ticket to…
ROUND THE WORLD! But next on the list is probably the Maldives. There aren’t many places we haven’t been, but there’s still an endless to-do list!
20. What did you eat last night?
Vietnamese – chicken pho and prawn rice paper rolls. So good!
21. Last movie you watched…
A random one – Ghost Writer with Ewan McGregor and Pearce Brosnan. My Mum sometimes randomly gets onto a movie she loves and won’t rest until I’ve watched it so she can share it with me. It’s actually quite a good one!
22. Favorite market place is…
Hmmm… probably Portobello Road in London if we’re talking outdoor markets? I love ALL food markets, especially cute little farmers markets.
23. Don’t mess with me when…
I’m hangry (hungry + angry)!
24. 6 things I love about Melbourne
Um, yet again in the top 5 liveable places in the world? How to choose only 6???
- The food scene
- That you can wear all black without judgment
- The football
- The culture – I love how friendly and people-oriented most Melbourne people are, we have so many festivals and events and fun stuff!
- That we all adore Melbourne but most of us also travel extensively too so we’re not just being pro-Melbourne out of ignorance
- How multicultural it is – so much diversity, which makes it so interesting
25. I just learnt…
That figs aren’t vegan. So strange! Google it!
26. One word to describe you?
Oh that is FAR too hard. Probably, just “happy”. I bounce off walls most of the time, I love life far too much!