Winter is often given a bit of a bad wrap. Compared to the other seasons in the year, it can at times seem as though winter brings nothing but miserable weather and dark afternoons. Gone are the days of basking in the warm sunshine of summer, picnicking under the blossoming trees in spring or skipping through colourful leaves in autumn.
However, there are many reasons to celebrate the three coldest months of the year and appreciate winter for what it brings. Here are five reasons to smile this Winter:
- Winter fashion…. Hello skinny jeans, trench coat, ankle boots and scarf! Winter fashion is simply fabulous and I would be hard pressed to find a female who doesn’t enjoy stocking up on new clothes come June (or May!) If you are smart about your purchases, it is also really easy to put together stylish ensembles with a few key pieces. My winter must-haves include: a leather jacket, a roll-neck knit, a great pair of jeans, a pair of ankle boots and a tailored coat. Add some accessories, such as a colourful scarf or fedora hat and mix and match!
- Winter food… Comfort food doesn’t have to necessarily mean stodgy food. Get creative in the kitchen and whip up some delicious vegetable soups, slow cooked curries (with quinoa to be extra healthy) or my favourite, baked sweet potato with shredded chicken, avocado, cabbage, grated cheese and chilli.
- Nights in… Wintery weather is the perfect excuse to stay in for the night! Jump in your pjs and settle in on the couch for a movie, or invite your group of girlfriends over for a night of pampering and gossip! On your own? Start reading that novel that’s been collecting dust on the shelf all year, or ring/skype a friend you haven’t spoken to in a while.
- Exercise… You know what they say, a summer body is made in winter! And it’s true. Just because you can cover up with layers of winter clothing, doesn’t mean you should neglect your fitness routine. Exercising in winter is the best way to warm up, and doing activities like group fitness classes or bootcamp in the morning is a great way to wake up the body before a long day at work.
- Winter sports…Netball, football, soccer, rugby…If you’re a sports fan, you’ll love winter! Both professional and local clubs that play during winter provide many people with a lot of enjoyment and entertainment. Even if you’re not footy mad, going to a game on the weekend can be very social and a great atmosphere to be a part of!
Article by Heidi Greig.
Heidi Greig is a 25-year-old Melbournian with a passion for all things health and fitness. Coming from a background in modern dance and now enjoying the benefits of Reformer Pilates, Heidi is well –aware of the importance of regular, heart rate rising activity for a balanced and happy life!
Instagram – @heidijoan