Nothing warms the soul quite like a big, steaming bowl of vegetable soup. Not only is it delicious and easy to cook, but it is a valuable source of nutrition and provides your body with wholesome goodness. Homemade soup is a healthy meal choice, as you know exactly what is going in (no hidden nasties!) It can also serve as dinner and lunch if you make a large enough batch.
Here is a recipe for broccoli and sweet potato soup. Broccoli is a low-calorie vegetable that is rich with dietary fibre, vitamins (particularly vitamins A and C), and anti-oxidants. It is also a great source of calcium and magnesium, which promote strong bones and a healthy heart. Sweet potato is Low GI, (a good alternative to potato) and is inexpensive and delicious!
1kg of broccoli, cut into florets
1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into small chunks
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 brown onion
1 clove of garlic
2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
2 rashes of short cut bacon – diced
Grated parmesan cheese to serve
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until soft. (Add bacon here if desired.)
- Add broccoli, sweet potato, stock and 2 cups cold water. Cover. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring, for 10 to 15 minutes or until sweet potato is tender.
- Remove from heat. Blend in a food processor until smooth. Pour back into saucepan. Cook for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Season with ground pepper and sprinkle on parmesan cheese to serve.
Article by Heidi Greig.
Heidi Greig is a 25-year-old Melbournian with a passion for all things health and fitness. Coming from a background in modern dance and now enjoying the benefits of Reformer Pilates, Heidi is well –aware of the importance of regular, heart rate rising activity for a balanced and happy life!
Instagram – @heidijoan
Do you have an amazing soup recipe? We’d love you to share it with us… Leave your comments below.
For more tasty & nutritious recipes head over to Taste + Wellbeing!