Like I have mentioned in previous posts, working out is only half as painful with a friend. Not only that, but it can also be TWICE as fun! When we articulate our personal goals and aims to others, it assists us in fulfilling the promises that we make to ourselves (even if we had our fingers crossed behind our backs as we were making them!) When the dreaded alarm sounds in the early hours of the morning, we are more likely to hop out of bed if we know that we have someone who will be there waiting there for us. Someone who will provide encouragement and support when needed! It’s our natural instinct to perform at a higher standard when we have others alongside us, so what are you waiting for? Grab your best mate and start living your fitness goals!
Here is a list of some of the best workouts to do with a friend:
1. Beach circuit…All you and your buddy need to create a dynamic beach circuit is a couple of towels, beach bags, hats, or whatever you can find to use as markers! Choose 4 or 5 exercises. Complete each exercise 3 times, for 40 seconds on with a 10 second rest between each set. Feel free to mix and match the exercises as you please!
- Standing Lunges
- Sumo-squats (wide foot stance)
- Push ups (on toes or knees)
- Shuttle runs (mark the distances using whatever you have with you. Step out 15-20 metres distance. One shuttle run is up and back.)
- Tricep dips (if there are any benches or flat rocks to use)Static plank (hold plank position on toes)
- Static plank (hold plank position on toes)
2. Boxing…Has many fitness benefits. It is a high-intensity workout that challenges you physically and mentally, which is why doing it with a friend can be incredibly supportive to your performance. Unlike many other cardio workouts, such as running, the fat-burning component lasts long after the training is over, which makes boxing great to incorporate into your routine if you want to lose weight. Other benefits include increased muscle tone, strong bones, improved core-stability and stress relief!
3. Tennis…You don’t need to be Maria Sharapova to enjoy the fitness benefits of tennis, you just need a friend and an enthusiastic attitude! Tennis is great for many reasons. It’s a non-impact sport that is suitable for all fitness levels and sporting abilities and, like boxing, is also helpful in reducing stress levels! Tennis is a great cardio-vascular workout that lowers blood-pressure and increases aerobic fitness. It improves muscle tone, strength and flexibility, as well as increasing co-ordination and reaction times.
4. Jogging…Picture this: beautiful scenery, sunshine, fresh air and long chats with your besty. Sounds idyllic, doesn’t it? Well those are just a few of the advantages that jogging with a friend can provide. Other health and fitness benefits include muscle strengthening, lower blood pressure, increased stamina and the blissful feeling provided by endorphins!
So what are you waiting for? Call up a good friend and try one of these workouts, the laughs are guaranteed!
Article by Heidi Greig.
Heidi Greig is a 25-year-old Melbournian with a passion for all things health and fitness. Coming from a background in modern dance and now enjoying the benefits of Reformer Pilates, Heidi is well –aware of the importance of regular, heart rate rising activity for a balanced and happy life!
Instagram – @heidijoan