There is a fine and somewhat hilarious art to planking, we wont deny that! But the planking we’re talking about is the one that will build a strong core, give you amazing inner strength and create stability and balance to help you stand tall and prevent you from injury.
The simple steps to a plank:
- Start off in a pushup position with your hands shoulder width apart.
- Lower both your forearms to the ground so that both your elbows and fists are flat to the ground. Your palms should be balled up, and ensure your elbows are now directly underneath your shoulders.
- Curl your toes under and engage your abs by tilting your pelvis and pulling your belly button toward your spine.
- Straighten your body but keep your neck and spine neutral. Imagine that you’re a plank of wood, and that you’re straight as an arrow.
- Flex your abdominals and squeeze your glutes. These are the two major muscle groups you’ll be working out in this exercise.
- Hold this position, and remember to breathe. Keep the breath steady and your muscles engaged!
Practise holding your plank for 20 seconds to start with, and gradually build. Remember, there is no competition and you should work with your own body whenever you are performing exercises.
Lets get planking!!
A quick home-workout:
20 x pushups
30 x crunches
10 x tricep dips
45 sec plank
30 x lunges
15 x squats
(repeat x 3)