My biggest nutritional weakness is my sweet tooth. If it wasn’t for guilt and the fear of a crippling stomach ache I could eat a shopping cart full of chocolate, biscuits, ice cream, cake and anything else with sugar and preservatives.
The challenge is keeping those cravings at bay whilst avoiding naughtiness as much as possible. One way to do that is to get creative at home. No sugar in the house, just some dates, maple syrup and a little vanilla.
Mix those with some chickpeas (unbelievably nutritious flour substitute) and peanut butter, and you’re away. Any food processor is worth it’s weight in gold.
Peanut Butter Blondies
- Makes 12 blondies
- Takes 10 minutes prep
- 20 minutes baking
- Chickpea can – 1
- Peanut butter (or any nut butter) – 1/2 cup
- Self raising flour – 1 cup
- Egg – 1
- Maple syrup – 1/4 cup
- Pitted dates – 5
- Vanilla paste – 2 teaspoons
- Baking powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Dark chocolate
- Pre-heat over to 180 Celsius (355 F)
- Line a square baking tray with baking paper
- Add every ingredient, except the chocolate chips, to a food processor
- Process until cake batter ish
- Next add in the chocolate chips / cacao nibs, and stir with a spoon: don’t turn the processor on
- Scoop into your baking tray and place in the oven
- Set timer for 20 minutes
- Take them out when a toothpick / skinny knife comes back clean after being inserted