As much as I love sweet breakfasts, I really crave savoury breakfasts in the morning. By starting my day like this I find that I have less sugar cravings during the day as my blood sugar is more constant. It’s super important to buy organically grown mushrooms as they absorb then concentrate whatever they are grown in (good or bad conditions) – this is what makes organic mushrooms so potent.
The creamy polenta with the deep earthy mushrooms and the zing of chilli is the perfect way to wake you up in the morning and keep you full until lunchtime. This may require a little bit extra time in the morning but it is totally worth waking up for.
- ¾ cup instant polenta
- 1 cup water (or veggie stock)
- 1 cup plant based mylk (we used cashew)
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp Coconut OilSEE PRODUCT
- 150g mushrooms (approx 3 cups), sliced
- 5 fresh thyme springs
- 2-3 handfuls of baby spinach
- a handful of fresh basil, chopped
- chilli to served
- STEP 1 Add water, mylk and a good pinch of salt to a medium sized pot and bring up to a boil.
- STEP 2 While the water/mylk is coming up to temperature heat a frying pan over a medium heat and add the coconut oil. Chop your mushrooms and add to the pan along with the leaves of a few sprigs of thyme. Season with cracked pepper and a little salt. Toss occasionally but make sure to concentrate on your polenta pot!
- STEP 3 Once your water and mylk are boiling add your polenta in a steady stream while you whisk vigorously. Continue whisking adding another cup of water to thin. The polenta is ready when it leaves the side of the pot but is still runny – approximately 10 mins. When the polenta is almost ready, add the baby spinach and stir through until wilted.
- STEP 4 Divide the polenta between two bowls and top with mushrooms, fresh basil, fresh chilli and cracked pepper. Enjoy!
Recipe by Emily Williamson
Originally Featured on the lovingearth.net blog