Looking for a quick, easy and filling breakfast for those busy weekday mornings? Why not try chia! High in protein, fibre and easy to transport, chia puddings make the perfect on-the-go breakfast. Spirulina is an organism that grows in both fresh and saltwater and is often referred to as blue-green algae. The quality of the protein in Spirulina is considered excellent, comparable to eggs, as it contains all the essential amino acids that we need. This blue-green powder not only contains complete protein but also healthy fat, vitamins A, K, and E, most B vitamins, copper, iron, magnesium, potassium and has powerful anti-inflammatory properties.
Ingredients: (Serves 2)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 banana
- 1/2 tsp spirulina
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
1. Add almond milk, banana, spirulina, hemp seeds, maple syrup and vanilla into a blender and blend well.
2. Add chia seeds and blend for 1-2 seconds.
3. Pour into 2 jars/bowls and leave to set for 15-20 minutes in the fridge or overnight. (the chia seeds will absorb the liquid and become pudding like).
5. In the morning, top the jar up with granola or superfoods of choice. Eat!
Recipe by Kavisha Jega
Holding a Masters degree in Wellness, Kavisha works to promote optimal health and well-being by teaching people how to move away from processed foods and towards a more nourishing whole foods diet. Her educational seminars and cooking workshops draw on her knowledge of whole food cooking and passion for wellness to show everyday people that healthy eating can be easy and attainable. A lover of all things food and travel, Kavisha also has a wellness travel practice, which focuses on connecting health savvy travellers with good food by showcasing local, organic and whole food experiences all over the world.