Work can get hectic with deadlines, meetings, phone calls, lunches and client expectations. It is essential not to forget to do the things we enjoy and the things that nourish our mind & body.
Work can be endless and infinite but we need to know when to switch work off and acknowledge ourselves as individuals. We need to make time for ourselves to honour the great individuals that we are.
Here are our top ten tips for creating a healthy life while working.
1. Making time to do what you love. Write a list of things you have always wanted to do and update it every month. This can be as simple as a daily meditation routine, enrolling in that salsa dancing class you always wanted to do or painting.
2. Now work towards doing the things you love. Every week or fortnight try to tick off something from your list of things that you have always wanted to do.
3. Have a structured week and know your work hours. It’s important to clock off at a regular and reasonable time. Work smart and organise your time wisely as our minds tend to become less efficient when we work late into the.
4. Make time for yourself. This can be in the morning or evenings, but make sure you have time for yourself every day to nourish yourself. For example, I try to sleep at 10pm and wake up at 6am. I’ll usually go for a quick jog or do yoga and then I have a 15 minute meditation session before I start work.
5. Reward yourself. Every month I list four big work goals that I need to achieve that month and write a reward for myself if I achieve it. Your reward can be out of your list of things you’ve always wanted to do. E.g. If I achieve x amount sales I will go reward myself by watching 2 episodes of Better Call Saul, or if I do all my accounts for the week I will visit the Mornington Peninsula Hot Springs on a Sunday evening.
6. Don’t skip meals, especially breakfast. Our bodies run on the nutritious food and drinks we consume so eat three meals a day! This will help to add structure and help to achieve balance in your life. Our bodies crave structure and balance.
7. Sleep on time. I used to work crazy hours while I had my startup business. I had very bad digestion issues (don’t we all!) because my life was completely out of balance. I spent ridiculous amounts of money on doctors and pills. I had enough of it so I began to take things into my own hands. I started to eat regularly and sleep at regular. I also meditated and exercised daily. My body loved this and soon after my digestive issues slowly disappeared.
8. Add meditation into your lifestyle. Even if it’s 5 minutes when you wake up, it can really help to ground you for the day and can add clarity your mind so you can make better decisions.
9. Laugh. Like attracts like so surround yourself with your positive friends. Go out after work with a friend for that drink you both always talk about and laugh because life is too short to be unhappy!
10. Lastly, if you can dream it you can do it. If you’ve ever wanted to start your own venture there’s no reason why you can’t even while you’re working. But it’s really important to maintain a balance and have time for yourself. Write down a plan of what you want to do and how you can get there. Slowly start taking those steps to get there. Who knows where you’ll be in a years time. A year ago I didn’t have a business!